Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ham and Sweet Potato Goodness

Let's be honest.  Before I started changing my diet, I was a very very basic eater.  I never ventured out too much and played it safe with casseroles.  LOTS of casseroles. 

When my mother in law first showed me this recipe, I laughed out loud.  There was no way I would (usually) try something like that. Thankfully, I was starving (kidding!) and decided I would try it (plus she had already made it so I couldn't be rude, right?!)

OH. MY. GOODNESS.  It was delicious!!  I had to have seconds and maybe thirds!  I've made it multiple times since!  So don't be taken back by the recipe or the sound of it....


Originally called: Warm Sweet Potato Salad
Adapted from Family Circle

3 Tbsp cider vinegar
3 Tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp dijon mustard (and more for dipping, if you are like me!)
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large onion (i use frozen)
1- 8 oz turkey ham cut into 1/2 inch pieces ( I end up adding more for the hubbie)
3/4 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper
1 pkg (10oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry



1.  Preheat oven to 400.
2. Place sweet potatoes, onion, and ham in a large bowl.  Drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil and place into a 9x13 baking pan.
3. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, & pepper.
4.  Roast @ 400 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring halfway through.
5. While that's roasting, stir together vinegar, maple syrup, and mustard.  Slowly whisk in 2 Tbsp of the olive oil and set aside until finished cooking.
6.Remove from oven and stir in spinach.  Drizzle with maple vinaigrette and serve immediately.

**I'm a dipper so I like to put some extra dijon mustard on the side =)


Seriously, ya'll, IT'S GOOD!  Like, REALLY GOOD!!

--Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment