Saturday, August 4, 2012

Take it one day, or three weeks, at a time…


When I was first told that I could not eat anything with milk, soy, nuts, or eggs, I felt completely overwhelmed.  The doctor suggested that I needed to stay on my diet until Tucker was 1 year old.  This meant I had to be on this diet for another 7 and a half months if I chose to continue to breast feed.  I had pretty much decided I couldn’t handle it and that I would have to give up nursing, something I really didn’t want to do.  I knew I could do it for a week, maybe two or three weeks, but not 7 and a half months.  So, I knew I had to change my attitude. 
I told myself I was only on this diet for three weeks.  When that three weeks mark hit, I would do it for another three weeks, over and over and over.  My coworkers would ask how much longer I was going to be on this “crazy” diet and I told them three weeks and when that three weeks hit, I was again only going to do it for three weeks.  Mentally, I could handle three weeks when it came to doing it for my son.  After about a month and a half, it wasn’t nearly as hard because I just got use to not being able to eat certain foods.  The longer I was on the diet, the easier it was.  At first I would look at food I wanted but couldn’t eat and crave it.  Later, it was like I had blinders up and didn’t see what I couldn’t eat, but rather what I could.
If you don’t think you can handle it, ask yourself how many days you CAN handle it.  Then just do it for that amount of time… over and over… 
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment